|The Old Tongue|
Disrupt the mind and body of human beings through the metaphysical plane
|“||I haven't heard the old tongue in eons.||”|
— The Dark Lord to the Sentinel
The Old Tongue, alternately called Enochian, is the archaic language spoken by angels and demons. It was first spoken by Little John during a crisis, caused by the attempt of Cotton Mather to exorcise him.
An ancient and mysterious language, loosely based on the Aramaic language, that can be interpreted as the language of some divine creatures, particularly of the spirit that presented himself under the name of Legion. This language has the apparent power to create disturbances on a sensory level in human beings and the surrounding natural area, causing terrible ultrasound.
The Language of the Devil is a recurring theme in literature and religious beliefs, especially the Abrahamic religions such as Hebraism and most ancient Gnostic traditions. It is widely believed that the Devil and his followers speak a hybrid language between the Language of God spoken by angels, generally called Enochian after John Dee, known magician and astrologer of Elizabethan, called it as such, most likely inspired by the prophet Enoch, author of the apocryphal texts about the Fall of the Angels, and the language of the more ungodly beasts.
Throughout the Salem series
In order to exorcise Mary Sibley's son, the young Rev. Mather borders little John in a protective circle, drawn with coal on the floor inside Petrus's shack. The circle is also enhanced by the power of some cabalistic-ish symbols. The ritual of exorcism start in oder to suppress malignant entities within the child, but when Cotton Mather tries to recite the prayers, the child is possessed by the devil and induces the priest to vomiting blood, as well as the litany recited by children causes ultrasounds and disturbances on a metaphysical level, causing a storm and an earthquake. The child also starts vomiting swarms of insects and has inhumane convulsions. (On Earth as in Hell)
When the Sentinel, a mysterious demonic individual, discreetly entered the House of the Seven Gables and is reunited with long-lost brother and friend, Lucifer, he starts talking to the latter in the Old Tongue, but the Devil orders him to speak English as hear the old language awakens in him too many memories. (After the Fall)
- Little John: Don't make me! Oh! Father! He's hurting me!
- John Alden: All right, stop it! You're hurting him!
- Cotton Mather: Why can't he say them? Go on, boy! Say the words! "Our father, which art in heaven, hallowed Say the words, child, if a child you be!
- Little John: Stop! Make him stop!
- Cotton Mather: Our father, which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name!
- Little John: Mene mene tekel Persis. Shaytani, Shaytani lama sabachthani!
- --in On Earth as in Hell
- The Devil: Finally, brother, you are here.
- The Setinel: Nostoah nanaeel olani noasmi...
- The Devil: Stop. I haven't heard the old tongue in eons. I can't say that I like it. Too many memories. But I quite like this one... English.
- --in After the Fall
- The sentence used in On Earth as in Hell is based on the literal "writing on the wall" from the Bible, contained in the Book of Daniel (5, 25-28) which is part of the Old Testament. The last words can be freely translated as: "God has numbered the days of your kingdom and brought it to an end, you have been weighed on the scales and found wanting".  The final part of the sentence used in Salem, however, is a demonization of the last words of Christ on the cross, according to the Gospel of Mark (15:34): “And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani" which is translated, ‘My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?’”.
- In place of Eloi, which means God (literally, "my Lord"), it has been used "Shaytani," which in Hebrew means "opponent, denier", and is the term that has been the basis of today's conception of Satan. Lama (למה) meaning why, is an extremely common word and is used least 145 times in the Hebrew OT in almost every book. Shabachtani ( שׁבקתני) appears to be a word of Aramaic origin. It means to leave, leave alone, entrust, bequeath, divorce, permit, forgive, abandon and forsake.
- Since it is not an exact language, the exact spelling of words varies depending on the edition of the Bible that we look at. Another variation of the words "Mene mene taker uparishad".
- The Upanishads are a collection of texts in the Vedic Sanskrit language which Contain the earliest emergence of some of the central religious concepts of Hinduism, some of which are shared with Buddhism and Jainism. The Upanishads are considered by Hindus to contain revealed truths (Sruti) concerning the nature of ultimate reality (Brahman) and describing the character and form of human salvation (Moksha).
- In Writer's Wrap 301- After the Fall, Adam Simon confirmed that the old tongue is Enochian. The Enochian language is also known as the language of the angels. It takes its name from Enoch, biblical character who is credited with the ability to speak with the angels. The inventor of the Enochian, however, was John Dee, an eclectic scientist with a keen interest in the occult, lived in England between 1527 and 1608.
- ↑ This is the interpretation of the message: MENE means that God has numbered the days of your kingdom and brought it to an end. TEKEL means that you have been weighed in the balance and found deficient. PERES means that your kingdom has been divided and given to the Medes and Persians.
- ↑ Shaytan, (Arabic شيطان) shows at once the name of the Devil par excellence, that is the "Denier" in the Abrahamic religions, but also a "devil" in general, whose plural is so Shayāṭīn (Arabic شياطين).