|Sebastian Von Marburg|
Schatzi (by his mother)
|Cause of Death||
Stabbed in the neck
5' 11" (1.80 m)
Mary Sibley (love interest)
|“||If there's one thing you should have learned from our beloved Mary, is never trust a witch.||”|
— Sebastian to John Alden
Born with the sole purpose of being used as vessel to complete the Grand Rite, since Increase Mather prevented the Countess from completing her purpose to unleash the Devil on Earth, Sebastian grew up like any other witch, basking in the comforts of the European aristocracy. It was revealed that as a child he lured children from town to town, leading them straight in the Countess's clutches. From the moment he became a man, children shown to be more reluctant to trust him. For this reason he has stopped to deal with this task, devoting himself to more important tasks.
Sebastian is a very cunning man, the charming son of Countess Von Marburg and a "250-year-old Dorian Gray type whose “anything goes” approach to sex is the antithesis of puritanical" Sebastian Von Marburg is a lustful man, arrogant and often infantile in methods and behavior. In spite of his being several hundred years old, Sebastian is not emotionally more mature than a teenager, behavior shared by many aristocrats of the time, prone to whim and being lunatics. He has a boundless sense of superiority inherited from his mother, which is why he looks so contemptuous anyone who is not in his inner circle of interests. Although his appearance may be more delicate than that of the other male characters, his attitude undermines any potential attempt to believe Sebastian a weak or innocent man. According to his mother, his beauty is exceeded only by his ego. Unlike the Countess, Sebastian seems to be capable of disinterested gestures toward those for whom he feels interest, particularly Mary Sibley. With the unraveling of the episodes, the arrogant mask begins to crack and, also due to the words of Mary, Sebastian shows hesitancy on his very existence and emergence of an actual sense of inferiority for not having become the Devil's vessel, thus being a living failure, or being second choice compared with his half-sister in the eyes of his mother.
Sebastian is a handsome man from medium build and a clear complexion. He has dark brown hair naturally wavy like those of the mother, hazel eyes and a boyish face albeit with a stern, and manipulative look. Sebastian has a slim body and a hairy chest. Wearing sophisticated and refined outfits ranging from military uniforms to refined clothing befitting his noble title. Sebastian often wears rings to the index finger, generally with black or ruby red gems embedded. In his mother's boudoir or in the privacy of his own bedroom he was shown wearing refined housecoats and nightshirts.
Throughout the Salem serie
Powers and Abilities
Sebastian von Marburg is a very powerful pure-blood witch, descending from one of the first satanic witches in history, currently known as Countess Marburg. He is allegedly over 250 years old, implying that Sebastian uses the same treatment of blooming as do his mother and Mercy, an Essex witch. It is possible that his power equals that of his half-sister, Anne Hale though due to his advanced age, he is much more in control of his abilities than Anne.
Unlike most of the witches, Sebastian rarely resorts to magic, though when he does, he demonstrates several noteworthy abilities. He was capable of teleportation, as seen when he teleported George Sibley's body to an undisclosed location by sticking a needle into his forehead. He can also teleport himself from one place to another. He showed a mastery in telekinesis, being able to paralyze someone while at the same time twisting their bones, as shown when he confronted Mercy who was rendered powerless by Sebastian's advanced abilities. He also showed the same gifts of the blood kiss as his mother, as he is able to extract any necessary information just as easily.
He is quite possibly one of the most powerful cradle witch in Salem along with his sister Anne.
Main Article: Countess and Sebastian
|“||By your leave, ma'am, I would sip her essence. Or perhaps you are jealous, afraid I will like the taste too much.||”|
— Sebastian questioning his relationship with his mother
Sebastian has an incestuous and highly co-dependent relationship with his mother. Although for centuries Sebastian has always lived in the shadow of his mother, recently he started to feed his own desires, namely win the heart of Mary Sibley. This led to a quick break between Sebastian and his mother.
Main Article: Sebastian and Mary
|“||I myself believe in having cake and eating it.||”|
— Sebastian to Mary Sibley
After having tasted her flavor from the lips of his mother, Sebastian falls in love with Mary Sibley, starting to act like a jealous lover towards the Queen of Salem, killing even Dr. Wainwright because Mary was in love with the latter. Sebastian's obsession with Mary, however, has a positive side when help women to escape from the clutches of the Countess.
Main Article: Sebastian and Mercy
|“||Wanted you? No one has ever wanted you.||”|
— Sebastian mocks Mercy
The turbulent relationship between these two witches consists of a hate-love relationship. Sebastian is jealous of the relationship blossomed between Mercy and his mother. When she tries to have sex with him, as she's secretly in love with him, he taunts and insults her.
Main Article: Sebastian and the Devil
|“||Will it end well for me? It's hard, mother, to be born to rule and yet know I'll never be king.||”|
— Sebastian to his mother
Among the witches of Salem, Sebastian seems to have a special relationship with the Devil, acting as his right arm since the rise of the Devil on earth after the Grand Rite. Previously, Sebastian showed a sense of inferiority toward him, as Sebastian was born with the aim to be the vessel for the Devil, and his existence is a constant failure reminder to his own mother.
|Book of Shadows||Appears|
|The Wine Dark Sea||Appears|
|Ill Met by Moonlight||Appears|
|The Beckoning Fair One||Appears|
|Wages of Sin||Appears|
|Til Death Do Us Part||Appears|
|On Earth as in Hell||Appears|
|Midnight Never Come||Appears|
|The Witching Hour||Appears|
|After the Fall||Appears|
|The Heart Is A Devil||Appears|
|Night's Black Agents||Appears|
|The Commonwealth of Hell||Appears|
|The Man Who Was Thursday||Appears|
- Sebastian: "What did she taste like, mother?"
- Countess: "Like lemons and honey.Like strawberry and sugar. Like innocence."
- Sebastian: "I can still taste the honey."
- Countess: "Well, nothing lingers like innocence."
- --in Blood Kiss
- Sebastian: "You never mind the blood, mother."
- Countess: "No. But like a good carpenter, I prefer to measure twice and cut once. So let us take the measure of this Mary Sibley before we go to Salem."
- Sebastian: "As always, your beauty is exceeded only by your prudent wisdom. I nearly forgot. I brought you a present."
- Countess: "Oh, what a thoughtful son! Now, what did I do to deserve you?"
- Sebastian: "Only everything, Mama. Only everything."
- --in Blood Kiss
- Sebastian: "I have been feeling something nearly new."
- Countess: "What is it, my love?"
- Sebastian: "Excitement."
- --in Blood Kiss
- Sebastian (to Dr Wainwright): "Well, let us just say that there are accurate superstitions and true fairytales."
- -- in Wages of Sin
- Anne Hale: "A gentleman does not sneak into a woman's bedroom."
- Sebastian: "I am no gentleman."
- -- Dead Birds
- Mercy Lewis: "Wasn't that a nice way to wake up?"
- Sebastian: "Yes, if I liked waking up to a dog nuzzling my bollocks."
- --in Midnight Never Come
- Sebastian: "History would say the Devil was born in Salem. What is the Devil? The Devil is the light that reveals the path through the dark woods of desire. After all, getting what we want is what the craft of the witch is. Witchcraft is wish craft for our wishes are his wishes, and our world shall be his world. O’ brothers and sisters, gathered here from every dark place on the Earth. We have so long been orphans of the great gone gods, but no longer. Our Father has come home. Their god is dead, or lost in senile slumber. But not ours. Our god, their devil, is alive. Awake. And now, finally, he’s here."
- -- After the Fall
- Sebastian: "Even the dimmest butcher knows not to let the cow see the blow that is coming. Fear taints the meat."
- --The Heart Is A Devil
- Sebastian is a masculine German and English given name deriving from Greek σεβαστος (sebastos), meaning "venerable" (a translation of Latin Augustus, the title of the Roman emperors).
- Von Marburg which in German language means literally "from Marburg", a German town.
Status and Rank
- Baron: a member of the lowest order of the British nobility. The term “Baron” is not used as a form of address in Britain, barons usually being referred to as “Lord". In pre-republican Germany all the knightly families of the Holy Roman Empire (sometimes distinguished by the prefix von or zu) eventually were recognised as of baronial rank, although Ritter is the literal translation for "knight".
- Knight: Countess Von Marburg has described her son as a "knight of the dark realm", perhaps referring to a potential rank aimed at men in the witch hierarchy. As per aforementioned definition of baron, in Germany knights were equivalent to the paladini of the Medieval Chansons de Geste.
- Guardian: using his noble title and in order to maintain a façade for the outside world, Sebastian acts as legal guardian of "Little John" (the vessel that hosts the essence of the Dark Lord) considered by all the living heir of the late George Sibley.
- Joe Doyle had been cast as "Baron Sebastian Von Marburg, the charming son of Countess Marburg and a 250-year-old Dorian Gray type whose “anything goes” approach to sex is the antithesis of puritanical". This description can be found on WGN America Salem official website.
- The updated summary description of the character for the third season, released on WGNA Salem, is the following: "The charming and cultured son of Countess Marburg, Baron Sebastian Marburg wallows in the loss of Mary and hates that Alden still lives."
- In episodes and various articles his last name was adressed as both Von Marburg and Marburg, but his official introduction to Salem citizens in III Met by Moonlight identifies him as Baron Sebastian Von Marburg. This is also the proper nomenclature for German surnames. The concept of a "surname" is a relatively recent historical development, evolving from a medieval naming practice called a "byname". Based on an individual's occupation or area of residence, a byname would be used in situations where more than one person had the same name. This is the exact case of Sebastian Baron Von Marburg, because Marburg is a German town.
- In a promotional video, it was revealed that he and his mother may share an incestuous relationship.
- It's vaguely confirmed by the acress Lucy Lawless who said: It's complicated. I think their Facebook thing would be 'It's complicated.'" They're super co-dependent. Let me just say that."
- Too bad for Mary, the Countess isn't coming to Salem by herself -- she's bringing along her charming and loyal son, Sebastian. According to Lawless, the Countess' relationship with her son is quite complex.
- Like his mother, he can sense the essence of a person by sharing a blood kiss.
- His mother referred to him several times with the term Schatz or Schatzi, the German equivalent of "darling; dear".
- "Sebastian von Marburg: the lovestruck baron." is the description that accompanies the promotional photo for the third season on Salem official Instagram account.