Salem is an American supernatural drama and historical fiction drama created by Adam Simon and Brannon Braga based upon the actual Salem witch trials of the 17th century. It is WGN America's first original scripted-drama that began airing in April of 2014.
Salem ended in January 25th, 2017, with the tenth episode of its third season after about a year off between the second and third season.
Set in the volatile world of 17th century Massachusetts, 'Salem' explores what really fuelled the town's infamous witch trials and dares to uncover the dark, supernatural truth hiding behind the veil of this infamous period in American history. In Salem, witches are real, but they are not who or what they seem.
The series was created by Adam Simon and Brannon Braga. The series was first known under the title Malice which began developement in July of 2012. Later On June 4, 2013, WGN America placed a straight to series order for 13 episodes, under the new title Salem to begin airing on April 20th, 2014. On November 8, 2013, filming of the first season began in Shreveport, Louisiana.
The first casting announcement was in October 2013, with Ashley Madekwe being cast as Tituba, Seth Gabel was the next series regular to be cast as Cotton Mather. Janet Montgomery and Xander Berkeley were then simultaneously cast in the series, Montgomery as the lead role of Mary Sibley and Berkley as John Hale. Shane West later joined the cast as John Alden. Later cast was Tamzin Merchant as Anne Hale. Elise Eberle was then cast as Mercy Lewis.
Cast & Characters
- Janet Montgomery as Mary Sibley (s1-currently)
- Shane West as John Alden (s1-currently)
- Seth Gabel as Cotton Mather (s1-currently)
- Ashley Madekwe as Tituba (s1-currently)
- Tamzin Merchant as Anne Hale (s1-currently)
- Elise Eberle as Mercy Lewis (s1-currently)
- Xander Berkeley as John Hale (season 1)
- Iddo Goldberg as Isaac Walton (s1-currently)
- Joe Doyle as Sebastian Marburg (s2- currently)
- Oliver Bell as Little John/ The Devil (s1- currently)
- Michael Mulheren as George Sibley (season 1-2)
- Azure Parsons as Gloriana Embry (season 1)
- Stephen Lang as Increase Mather (season 1-2)
- Lucy Lawless as Countess Marburg (season 2)
- Stuart Townsend as Samuel Wainwright (season 2)
- Jeremy Crutchley as Wendell Hathorne (s2-currently)
- Marilyn Manson as Thomas Dinley (season 3)
- Samuel Roukin as The Sentinel (season 3)
Main Article: Salem Opening Theme
The Vow featured only the typical opening title saying "Salem" and then returning to the show and credits. On April 24th, 2014 WGN released the opening credits to be used for the remaining episodes of season one. The new credits featuring the song "Cupid Carries a Gun" by Marilyn Manson & Tyler Bates. Tyler added “Manson and I wrote a draft of ‘Cupid Carries a Gun’ shortly before I began working on the score for ‘Salem.’ A couple weeks later I saw the title sequence and the song immediately came to mind. I showed it to Manson for fun more than anything, and it inspired us to finish the song that night. The next day I played it for Brannon Braga and he said that ‘Cupid Carries a Gun’ was the perfect tone and attitude for the show’s main titles.” The Original title card however is still used in promos and teasers.
Behind the Scenes