|Cause of Death||
6 feet (183 cm)
Cotton Mather (son)
| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details.
|“||Do you not see, when hunting witches, far better a hundred innocents die than a single solitary witch walks free!||”|
— Increase Mather in Our Own Private America
Increase Mather was once one of the most famous and cruel witch hunter from both the Old World and the New World. He was the cause of death of thousands of witches throughout Europe, including the wicked German witches, those in Essex and many more. Once refused to condemn classmate for witchcraft and this man years later sacrificed two virgins girls in a satanic ritual.
In an unspecified year he had prevented the success of the Grand Rite by German witches killing their main vain witch, who had taken possession of a six year old girl.
Increase Mather was a despotic, cold and violent man. He's one of the most famous and cruel witch hunters, prone to the use of torture and violence, both physical and psychological. Blindly convinced of his beliefs and his cause that doesn't allow anyone to contradict him. His temperament was not softens even with his son, even worse.
Increase Mather was a man at the end of the fifty, austere, with graying hair almost white, sparse beard and an athletic physique for his age. Increase Mather was always wearing gloves on his hands because his hands were blacked by Hell's fire while strangling the life out of a six year old girl whom he believed to be possessed by Satan in the witch trials of the German witches. Wearing a cilice tight to his chest as a sign of repentance for his sins.
Throughout The Salem Series
Main Article: Cotton and Increase
|“||Imagine how proud I am to have raised a son so steadfast in his ability to consistently make the wrong decisions.||”|
— Increase to Cotton in Cat And Mouse
A destructive relationship in which the despotic father has canceled almost completely the self-esteem of the child. Increase dreams for his son an illustrious political career, spianandogli the way for what he thinks is not good for Cotton. Increase sent away from Cotton, in fact, his lover Gloriana, burns his books and makes throwing trinkets and bizarre tools used by Cotton in his research and experiments, leaving the entire room a bed and a Bible.
|“||He is formidable, the senior Mather, part bully, part bloodhound.||”|
— Mary in Departures
An old friend of George Sibley's, he is the head of one of the founding families of Salem and a formidable witch hunter. He returns to a Salem because of his sons failure to eradicate the witches. Not much is known about their past history but it is presumed they knew of each other before Mary married George. When Increase returns he sparks real fear in Mary who tries to send her husband away to Boston to prevent him from discovering his friend is under a spell but her plan fails and Increase takes George under his care (Departures). He later becomes suspicious of Mary and falsely arrests John Alden of witchcraft as bait to lure Mary into revealing she is a witch (The House Of Pain). Mary kills him as the final and thirteenth sacrifice to complete the Grand Rite after she saves John (All Fall Down).
|The Stone Child||Mentioned|
|The Red Rose and the Briar||Absent|
|Our Own Private America||Absent|
|Children Be Afraid||Appears|
|The House Of Pain||Appears|
|Cat And Mouse||Appears|
|All Fall Down||Appears|
|Book of Shadows||Absent|
|The Wine Dark Sea||Absent|
|Ill Met by Moonlight||Appears|
|The Beckoning Fair One||Appears|
|Wages of Sin||Absent|
|Til Death Do Us Part||Absent|
|On Earth as in Hell||Absent|
|Midnight Never Come||Absent|
|The Witching Hour||TBA|
- Increase Mather (to Cotton Mather): Let them no more say “God must do all”, and so encourage themselves to live in a careless neglect of God and of their own souls of salvation! The Devil has made a dreadful knot of witches in the country, and, by the help of witches, has dreadfully Increased that knot. Oh, children children, be afraid, and go not prayerless to your bed lest the Devil be your bedfellow.
- --in Children, Be Afraid
- Increase Mather: It is true that, and no one will admit, that love is never equal. And in its inequality lies its fragility, for the one who is loved less will one day find love tastes like ashes.
- --in The House of Pain
- Increase Mather: I am a patient man. A witch cannot run forever.
- He is based on the real Increase Mather, who was a major figure in the early history of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. He was a Puritan minister who was involved with the government of the colony, the administration of Harvard College, and most notoriously, the Salem witch trials. He was the son of Richard Mather, and the father of Cotton Mather, both influential Puritan ministers.
- His sadism can be assimilated to that of another famous real witch hunter, Matthew Hopkins.