|Cause of Death||
Increase Mather (judge)
Henry Hopkins (dismembered)
Henry Hopkins (father)
Mary Katherine O'Donnell
|“||May the Devil be as kind and considerate to you as you were to me.||”|
— Emily to her father's corpse
Early Life Edit
Motherless, Emily was raised by her father, Henry Hopkins, a wimp who forced her to beg in the streets of Salem all day long and then squander the money to get drunk at Lamb's, the Salem tavern. It was implied that since she was a little girl, Emily knew that when she'd reach fifteen years would also have been forced into prostitution, prospect that terrified her so much to push her to accuse her father of witchcraft and plan to escape.
Physical Appearance Edit
Emily was a fifteen years old, neglected and dirty in appearance, with long brown hair often in braids or pigtails, gaunt face and small brown eyes. Emily wore dirty and worn clothes, not at all similar to the chaste and clean black Puritan clothes.
Emily was a shy and clumsy girl harassed by her father's abuse. Initially hesitant even to speak, being in the company of Mercy, Dollie, and the other girls, Emily began to become more extroverted. Years of abuse also took the girl to internalize a lot of anger, ultimately directed towards the cause of her suffering: her father. Whilst the power from Mercy's witchcraft pushed her to become more self-confident and mean, her genuine goodness and innocence came out in showing regret for lying about John Alden, begging the man to forgive her.
Throughout the Salem series Edit
To be added
|“||Makes her sing in the streets all day long while he nurses the bottle at Lamb's... sing and beg. Then he takes what coin she's made for spirits and beats her senseless for her troubles.||”|
— Dollie about Emily's father
To be added
|“|| Emily:I miss Mercy.
Dollie: Our Mercy is always with us. Perhaps that's one of her servants now, watching over us and weaving its web of destiny.
— about Mercy
To be added
To be added
Memorable Quotes Edit
- Emily Hopkins (to Mercy Lewis): "No woman in Salem has ever had that kind of power."
- -- in Lies
- Emily Hopkins: "I'm to be fiftteen next month, and he swears to sell me to the Rod."
- Mercy Lewis: "Your father means to sell you to the whorehouse?"
- Emily Hopkins: "I'll run away. Even if he sells me, I'm... I'll run."
- Mercy Lewis: "No one is running away. No one."
- --in Lies
- Henry Hopkins: "Told you I'd get out."
- Emily Hopkins: "Yes, you did."
- Henry Hopkins: "I told you this weren't over. You'll be sold still, if the whores will have you."
- Emily Hopkins: "I'm not going anywhere."
- Henry Hopkins: "You will. You will go where I tell you!"
- Emily Hopkins: "I won't"(subsequently the girls dismembered Henry)
- -- in Children, Be Afraid
- Dollie Trask: "Any last words for your father?"
- Emily Hopkins: "May the Devil be as kind and considerate to you as you were to me."
- -- in The House of Pain
- Emily Hopkins: "Mercy told us it was... it was John Alden who came in... in the shadows in the night, that he kissed and licked and bit every part of her, but he bewitched her so she might not name his name but she might blame all on the Hag. He took her in the night, in spectral form, and gave her body and soul to the Devil himself! And she... she drew us in after that with magical tricks and... and games, and soon we were dancing in the woods with him, where we touched each other and, one after the other, lay with him."
- Cotton Mather: "Really? All of you? Are you saying, Emily, that you are not a maiden? If I were to examine you, have one of the women here examine you, they would find that you were not intact?"
- Emily Hopkins: "He... um... he has tongue and fingers and uh, invisible instruments of pleasure..."
- Cotton Mather: "Ah!"
- Emily Hopkins: "But I... I had my eyes closed, I don't know what he did."
- -- in Ashes, Ashes
- Emily Hopkins (to John Alden):"Forgive me! It's the only thing I regret, lying about you."
- -- in Ashes, Ashes
|The Stone Child||Appears|
|The Red Rose and the Briar||Absent|
|Our Own Private America||Appears|
|Children Be Afraid||Appears|
|The House of Pain||Absent|
|Cat And Mouse||Appears|
|All Fall Down||Appears|
- Emily: English feminine form of Aemilius. In the English-speaking world it was not common until after the German House of Hanover came to the British throne in the 18th century; the princess Amelia Sophia was commonly known as Emily in English, even though Amelia is an unrelated name. Famous bearers include the British author Emily Bronte, who wrote 'Wuthering Heights', and the American poet Emily Dickinson.
- Hopkins: Patronymic formed from a diminutive of Hob, Medieval short form of Robert. A famous bearer of this surname was Matthew Hopkins, dreaded English witch hunter.
- Along with Dollie Trask, Emily Hopkins is the only friend of Mercy Lewis played by the same actress throughout the series, while the others were re-casted many times. Always along with Dollie Trask, is the only of the circle of friends to have a background.
- In spite of not being a witch, Emily participated in the rituals practiced by Mercy Lewis, appearing prone to practice witchcraft adverse to Puritan teachings.
- Emily Hopkins is but one of the neglected children of Salem, abused by her own father.
- Interesting enough, this character share her surname with Matthew Hopkins, an historical witch hunter, while Emily engaged with the magical arts. Whether it is a coincidence or a reference is unknown.
See Also Edit