|Cotton and Gloriana|
sexual pleasure derived from meetings at the brothel resulted in genuine loving feeling
Former lovers due to Gloriana being banished from Salem, Cotton still loves her
Before The Vow
|“|| Gloriana: If they can hang a woman like Miss Bishop, what does that mean for someone like me? |
Cotton: Nothing is going to happen to you.
— in In Vain
Throughout The Salem Series
- Cotton Mather: "Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and of the sea! For the devil has come down unto you with great wrath because he knoweth that he hath but a short time." Revelations 12:12.
- Gloriana: I see the end of the world urges you onto greater efforts.
- Cotton Mather: Mm, as it must us all.
- Gloriana: Our granny used to scare us silly with those witch stories. But she'd really terrify my brothers. She told them witches could steal a man's
- Cotton Mather: Aah! Would you like that, Gloriana, without the bother of the man attached?
- Gloriana: Not this man.
- --in The Vow
- Gloriana: Have you lost your lust for life? Don't tell me that you are full up.
- Cotton Mather: Perhaps some holes cannot be filled.
- Gloriana: Really, my lord? Which holes are those?
- Cotton Mather: The ones we dig for ourselves.
- Gloriana: What weighs so heavy on you, love?
- Cotton Mather: By the taste of it, my father's boot.
- Gloriana: You're a big boy now. Grown men don't fear their fathers.
- Cotton Mather: You don't know my father.
- Gloriana: Everyone knows your father.
- Cotton Mather: Precisely.
- -- in The Stone Child
- Cotton: You're crying.
- Gloriana: I'm not.
- Cotton: You are. What's wrong?
- Gloriana: If they can hang a woman like Miss Bishop, what does that mean for someone like me?
- Cotton: Nothing is going to happen to you.
- Gloriana: How can you be so sure? Just yesterday, it was me that they put before the Lewis girl. Would you have come forward had I been accused?
- Cotton: I follow every protocol.I adhere to every letter of what my father taught me. No one is convicted without incontrovertible evidence.
- Gloriana: So you're certain Miss Bishop was a witch?
- Cotton: I am certain of the evidence.
- Gloriana: Why do you do it? Is it that you believe that you're doing good? Or is it that you wish to please your father?
- -- in In Vain
- Gloriana: Cotton, that was the bravest thing I've ever seen, like a man sticking his head inside a lion's jaw. I would gladly reward you for your bravery.
- Cotton: I would gladly accept it, but now is not the time. I cannot deny my feelings, they are real, but I do not want any longer to be your customer. Do you understand?
- Gloriana: I think so. Will I see you again?
- 'Cotton': Yes, but you must leave me now, 'til I sort things out. When I do, everything will be different. I promise.