Although this article is based on canonical information, the actual name of this subject is conjectural.
|Angelic Box of Anguish|
Angelic torture device
to cause excruciating torments to mind and soul of its victims.
|“||I retain all the keys to all the locks on all the doors so I may make a dungeon in a grain of sand large enough to contain your soul.||”|
— The Sentinel
The Angelic Box of Anguish is a torture device masterfully crafted by The Sentinel to cause excruciating torments to mind and soul of his victims.
A dark cube of about thirty centimeters whose faces are inscribed with golden cabalistic symbols that are very reminiscent of the Enochian writings, and other esoteric symbols such as the various seals of the Clavicula Salomonis, a medieval demonic grimoire. One of the cube faces is slidable so that the box can be placed around the head of the victim as a cage, and then close around the neck like a pillory trapping the head inside the box, where the mind of the victim is destined to undergo anxieties of all sorts.
Throughout the Salem seriesEdit
- Mary: I expected some dark, damp, mildewing dungeon.
- The Sentinel: No need. I built this place. Not this house, but the world. Helped forge its geometries. And I retain all the keys to all the locks on all the doors so I may make a dungeon in a grain of sand large enough to contain your soul.
- --The Reckoning
- The manufacture of this nefarious box is reminiscent of the box that contained the Malum.
- The symbols that are visible in the interior of the box are planetary seals found in many grimoires of Western Ceremonial Magic, including some demonic seals, such as Astaroth's seal devoid of the five-pointed star. One of the facades of the cube is inscribed with a reproduction reminiscent of the famous "Sigillum Dei Aemaeth", the symbol par excellence of Enochian magic.
- Adam Simon has revealed that the so-called "Angelic Box of Anguish" (that he simply referred to as "the box"), is based on real specific designs. Despite Adam Simon has denied any knowledge of Lemarchand's Box, the two artifacts exhibit some similarities. Within Hellriser universe created by Clive Barker, a Lemarchand's box is a mystical/mechanical device that acts as a door — or a key to a door — to another dimension or plane of existence.